WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

Paranormal Page Turner

Blood in the Valley - J. K. Hogan

A follow-up to the highly rated book Fire on the Island, this second book in The Vigilati Series is making its mark on today’s contemporary paranormal market.  I have to say, having been given this book in return for an honest review, that I have not read the first book and will be doing so quite soon.  Yes, that’s just how good this book is and what a great writer that I was able to jump into the second book without hesitation.

Blood in the Valley takes place in the mountains of North Carolina.  The others descriptions brought back fond memories of when I had lived in that state nearly two decades ago.  My oldest daughter was born in NC and as I read I could hear her little girl accent ringing in my thoughts.  The main female character, Raven, is an independent woman who is trying to learn more about herself and the people she came from.  Never having known her mother, she was raised by a con father who barely knew her mother other than a weekend they had spent together and who didn’t even know about her until she was thrust upon his doorstep at the tender age of four.  She has abilities but is unsure just the extent of what her capabilities are.  Now comes Drew, a man who knows of the mystical world of witches, demons and shapeshifters.  He has knowledge and connections with those that can help her.  The two of them together make quite the sizzling team and as you dive further into the conflicts you have the pleasure of seeing their relationship shape to another level and the paranormal side of the story soars and surrounds the reader with an energy all its own.

I found this book to be a page turner.  I was instantly sucked into the story and couldn’t pull myself away.  The descriptions were clear and well balanced as was the story.  I could feel the atmosphere of the bar as Drew stepped through the doors, and I could place myself in the scenery of the storyline with ease.  I felt like I was right there with the characters throughout the book.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes a good contemporary paranormal story.  The romance isn’t too heavy to cover up or distract the reader from the main ideas and the character building is one that other authors should take notice of.

Oh, and one last thing.  I LOVE this cover!   It’s one of the most eye-catching and hottest covers I’ve seen in a while.

Source: http://wordtodreams.blogspot.com/2013/05/review-blood-in-valley-vigilati-book-2.html