WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

Riveting, Full of Range, Depth, Creative...

The Last Hour  - Charles Sheehan-Miles

Oh my, what a read!  I just finished and I’m still trying to wrap my head around it all.  It’s hard to say too much without giving spoilers, but I’ll do my best.

The Last Hour is, as put earlier, an adult contemporary novel which incorporates a bit of his other two books involving the Thompson sisters.  Written as a standalone, I do recommend reading Just Remember to Breathe first.  I just feel that the reader would get a bit lost without having read Alexis and Dylan’s story first.  They are not the main characters in this book, but their story helps to tell this story.

The story is told in a way that incorporates both sides of the story being told.  The story covers from the time Carrie and Ray meet and through their time together.  Written in such a way, that it’s not a repeat of the other person, at times their a touch on what the other person saw, thought, or said, but done so well that it’s truly from the other persons perception.  That’s one thing I love about this authors writing, he does it so well and makes it look so easy, but as we all know and have read from other authors, it’s quite an undertaking which usually falls flat.  Flat is not even a term I would use for this novel; riveting, full of range, depth, fresh, creative, these are terms I would and do use for The Last Hour.

As with Mr. Sheehan-Miles other book I have read, Just Remember to Breathe, this book is also a page turner.  I didn’t want to put it down.  I fell asleep reading it, I had to read more as soon as I awoke, I took it with me to read during any spare time that I had.  Worst part of that, I found myself crying while a group of people looked at me crazy, because this book had such an emotional hold on me.

Ray, the main male character, in this book is a military man.  Please, do not let this taint your consideration of reading this book.  This is not a “military” book, but deals with a situation that he found himself in while he was in the Army.  There is so much more to this book than the military aspect, there is a romance, betrayals not just from those he knows, but a betrayal against another.  There is despair, love, hope, loss, emotional cruelty wrapped up in this masterfully written novel.  This is a book for anyone who likes a good contemporary novel without all the graphic sex and romantic conflicts.

I give this book 4 stars and I thank the author for providing me a copy for an honest review.  Why only 4 stars after all the raving I’ve done?  Well, there are a few areas that just seemed to drag a bit more than needed to be.  I found myself a few times thinking, okay, I get the picture, enough already, let’s get the story moving.  Thankfully the author did and I look forward to whatever this author brings to the table next.

Source: http://wordtodreams.blogspot.com/2013/05/review-last-hour-by-charles-sheehan.html