WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1)

The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins I had this book sitting on my TBR pile for ages. Nothing really drew me to it. Yes, there was all the hoopla, but that didn't do it. Than it was part of the series of the month for a book group, so I decided it was time. The biggest thing I ask myself is Why, Oh Why, didn't I read this earlier? Hands down, this is one of the best books I've read in a long time!Dystopia novel, touch of romance, quirky government, adventure and death. What more could one ask for? Twenty Four people thrown into an arena, the size of a national forest and told the last one standing wins. In other words, kill or be killed. Yes, mishaps happen, so not every death is intentional, but they also don't happen any ordinary way either. While reading, you can't help but ask yourself,"What would I do in that situation?"There are 12 districts. Each year, one girl and one boy ages 12-18 from each district get selected for the games. Katniss volunteers to go when her 12 year old sister gets selected. Katniss is strong, emotionally, mentally and physically. She is the provider of the family since her father died. She finds her male counterpart to be Peeta. Someone who has helped her along the way when she needed it most, but who she has also kept her distance from. Together, they go to the Capitol, train, unknowingly bond, and where the spark of romance starts. The games start and quickly they are seperated. The first day, the beginning of the games, has the biggest casualty level, but both of them are spared. Eventually fate brings them back together, both having gone through some terrible times. I won't say the outcome of the games, because that would be a spoiler and a half!The whole Team Peeta, Team Gale is hard to decide,. You get a smidge of Gale and a whole lot of Peeta.Today a coworker was judging the series on a scene she saw on tv from the movie. She couldn't believe how anyone would want to see a movie about kids killing kids. I told her, it's so much more than that and it is.