WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

Soulless - Amber Garr
I had received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Doing so does not sway my review in any way.

There seems to be a recurring theme lately, those that handle the dead. That's okay with me, as long as there is something different brought to the table, which Ms. Garr has done. Death Wardens and Soul Hunters. For those that have not read this book, they sound pretty much like one another, but with different names. That couldn't be further from the truth. Nora, a Death Warden who's advisor, ie teacher, went from friend and lover to the enemy, a Soul Hunter. Add mystery and conspiracy on top of that and wrap it all up in Soulless.

This book finds Nora in a tough situation. Basically betrayed by someone she loved, she is now dealing with him stealing her charges, ie her jobs. Reading this, it was quite evident at the time of him telling Nora that he was leaving and wanted her to join, that there was an alternative motive behind it all. Why Nora didn't pick up on the obvious really frustrated me. Personally, if it was me, and I was getting the vibes, I would have questioned him more. Yes, he pretty much disappeared on her, but he reappeared plenty of other times that she could have tried to get some answers from him.

I wasn't a fan on how Jason was introduced. He was pretty much just left to his own vices for a bit and got through everything way more than he should have. Again, a red flag was waving frantically when I was reading this part and Nora had picked up on some unusual things during this time. Something was up and I wanted more info. I also wanted more depth from that character. He just seemed to be, with not enough characterization to make me more vested in him as a whole.

"He's a part of this. I don't know how exactly, but it's all connected."

There are twists and turns throughout this book and it sets up quite nicely for the second book in the series. There are multiple layers to this story that you will pick up pretty quickly and little things will jump out at you as you read, making you go hmm. This is a great time to use the highlighter feature of your ereader.

I did have some issues while reading. The story lagged in some areas and rushed into other parts too quickly. The flow and beat just weren't in sync and this caused some disruption to my ready style. Having said that, again, this story has unique qualities that separate it from so many others out there. Anyone who likes to read paranormal stories and stories of the afterlife, will enjoy this book.

Source: http://wordtodreams.blogspot.com/2015/01/review-soulless-death-warden-1-by-amber.html