WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

Psycho Inside Me

Psycho Inside Me - Bonnie R. Paulson I wish to thank the author for providing me a copy of her book in exchange for an honest review.

I've never read anything quite like this. Was it good? Yes. Was it shocking? Yes. Was it offensive? No. Did I like it? Yes. I was surprised with the subject matter and how the characters went about their killings, but the way the author presents the story you get away from the shock and start to really understand the persons in a different way.

Vigilante fiction. Original in many ways. A story that could have been like any other teen killer story was given reasoning and a sense of purpose. Do I recommend that people do what Cassie and Deegan did, absolutely not, but how many of us have heard about a sexual assault on the radio, read about it in the news or saw it on the tv and thought that these sick people should die? Yeah, that's what I thought.

The author brings to the forefront the effects of sexual assault. The fact that even those that report it to a parent are turned away by the very person(s) that should be doing everything they can to keep their children safe at all times. The fact that there are people out there ready to exploit others sexually. The fact that there are people that take advantage of their leadership position to victimize those younger than them sexually. The fact that there are people who place themselves in positions of trust and time and time again victimize the victims until they just give up on life altogether. Sexual assault is running rampant through our world, no place is safe but the best thing you can do is to educate friends and family about how to keep themselves from being victims and to be strong enough to report it if it does happen to them.

The story follows Cassie through several years, from her first accidental killing to her last purposeful one before she stops for certain reasons. Cassie and Deegan are mentally dysfunctional and I don't think that Cassie would have gone the route she did if he wasn't in the picture. Deegan guided her in the beginning and from there a monster was created. This was a great read and I understand the reason why the author wrote it after reading her notes at the end of the book. I hope that she was able to calm at least some of the demons that keep her awake at night.

I recommend this to anyone looking for a contemporary, original read. I do not recommend this for teens under seventeen though because I would not want them to get the wrong idea of how to take care of a bad situation. Not everyone out in the world is bad, there are resources, but the biggest thing is to educate your loved ones.