WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

Waterfall

Waterfall - Amber Garr I would like to thank the author for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Doing so does not sway my judgment in any way.

Okay, so I was reading the first book in The Water Crisis Chronicles, which was written before the prequel, and I just wanted feeling the story. There seemed to be some gaps with Zach and Vee’s story from their life before they ended up on the run with their family to the start of that story. I decided to put that on hold and go to this, the prequel.

In the prequel, you get to know a bit about each family’s dynamics, and the relationship that Zach and Vee had before [b:Waterproof|21760439|Waterproof|Amber Garr|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1399568912s/21760439.jpg|26152587]. You learn a bit about the compound they went to and how things went from bad to worse to a total collapse. But, right when you get there and you are ready to get some real meat of the story, it ends. Yep, it just ends. So now I’m going back into Waterproof with more questions and I really hope they are answered in that book.

As a prequel and as a novella, I felt a bit slighted. The writing is good, but the story itself is a bit rushed with certain things. By the time they were in the safety compound, I really wanted to know more about it and their life there, but the author doesn’t go into detail about that but rushes forward to when the families find themselves at the start of a rebellion, Zach finds he’s good with knives and Vee finds her adoration for the sword. I expected a bit more descriptive information that would lead up to the actual series.

Being so short, it feels like it would have been better added to Waterproof, leading in, than as a separate book. I recommend it to anyone who is reading The Water Crisis Chronicles and I recommend the chronicles to anyone who likes the dystopia genre.