WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

Minty

Minty - Christina Banach As I first read this, I started feeling like it was a mix of [b:If I Stay|17450848|If I Stay (If I Stay, #1)|Gayle Forman|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1398088964s/17450848.jpg|4422413], [b:The Lovely Bones|12232938|The Lovely Bones|Alice Sebold|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1312524577s/12232938.jpg|1145090] and the movie Ghost. As I read further into the story, I found the author even talks about Ghost, but it really put a lot of things in perspective for the character, Minty. The author creates her own story while giving the reader and her own characters something to compare things to, which really helps the narrative.

This is a story of loss, sorrow, despair, hope, peace and resilience. Minty's sister is so wound up on her pain that when Minty tries to get through to her, it comes in slow stages than all at once. Luckily, Jess' friend picks up on Minty's intentions and instead of blocking them, she allows them to come through. Through this, Minty finds a friend in Jack, who helps her get an understanding about life, loss and the difference between what she wants and what is right.

I really couldn't put this book down. The story held my attention the entire time and when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about where it was going to go. Thinking about where I thought it should go, wondering if the shortcomings were going to be dealt with at a later time. With a satisfied smile, I can say yes, the author waited for the right moment and made things right. An honest read, I find myself thinking about things that I hadn't for awhile.

Reading this, I couldn't help but think of my own children. I have twins who, even with all their bickering back and forth, are truly each others best friends. They may say otherwise, but when things get tense, they are right there at each others sides. This school year is going to be a tough one on them, because it will be the first time that they will really only see one another on the bus to and from school. No lunch together, no classes together and a part of them will be feeling a bit lonely without the other. See, I told you that this book had me thinking.

There are selfish acts but with resolution and together this makes for a unique, special and welcome read. I recommend this to mature 12 year old's and everyone else above that age. The story line is about learning to cope and being able to move on after the loss of someone close to you.