WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

Tressie 1: Demon Born in Blood

Tressie 1: Demon Born in Blood - Blaine Hislop, Tom Townsend First I would like to thank the author for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Doing so does not sway my review in any way.

Before I start my review, a tip for future readers. Do NOT read this book at night, while everyone else is asleep. You will be ready to hide under the covers and/or wake everyone in the house to ease your fear. Yes, this book creeped me out that much. I love scary stories, horror movies and ghost tours and if I feel my body tighten up with anxiety, it means it's a good one.

For a novella, this book really packs in the horror factor. Starting off, the story centers around a mentally challenged woman and the death of her equally disabled daughter. A deadly cover up of the true nature of girls death ensues culminating with the execution of the mother. After this, the town starts to hear screams in the night. This is a town with lots of hidden secrets and one of the biggest is trying to be heard.

So much is unsaid in this book, but your imagination quickly fills in the blanks. I honestly haven't been this spooked by a book since I read [b:Paranormal State: My Journey into the Unknown|7013171|Paranormal State My Journey into the Unknown|Ryan Buell|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348767664s/7013171.jpg|7258689] by [a:Ryan Buell|3127235|Ryan Buell|https://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1351406987p2/3127235.jpg]. While reading that, my imagination really kicked into full gear. I'm hoping that tonight I'm able to get a good nights sleep without the side effects of dreaming of demons and such.

This book has murder, cover ups, paranormal investigators, conspiracy, shadows, cold spots, fire and death by electric chair gone worse than one could ever imagine. Tressie is ready to avenge the death of her daughter and bring everyone to their knees. People will be begging for mercy and there will be blood spilled. If it wasn't for having to be up in 4 hours for work, I'd be nose deep in the next book in the series, [b:Tressie: A Thriller of Paranormal Revenge - Book 2|22912067|Tressie A Thriller of Paranormal Revenge - Book 2|Blaine Hislop|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1410827636s/22912067.jpg|42476973].

I recommend this to anyone who likes to read horror stories. You will be drawn immediately into this book and come up for air only either once you are done, or if the unease gets the best of you. It takes a brilliant storyteller to draw one in and make them frightened in the short time this author does. I look forward to reading more from this writer and I hope he keeps on terrifying me.