WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

Call Me Crazy

Call Me Crazy - Quinn Loftis Just seconds ago I finished Call Me Crazy and I am an emotional wreck. Quinn Loftis has poured her soul into this book and has ripped mine to shreds. I am literally sobbing like a person who’s just experienced a deep loss.

Call Me Crazy is not about just one person and how she goes from rock bottom up, but also about those around her who are also dealing with her and their own mental states. I wasn’t sure how the story was going to go from the way Tally met Trey and I really can’t go into it without giving away spoilers but I can say that it was done with grace and dignity that the characters deserved. As I was reading there were times that I could flashback to a good friend and her family because her mother also dealt with mental illness and had spent times in the hospital.

Mental illness and in this novel, bipolar disorder and schizophrenia and another unspoken disease, are still to this day treated like a dirty secret. Instead of trying to understand what is going on with people who have these diseases, many seem to find it easier to make fun of them, judge them, bully them and make their lives even harder than it already is. This is a book that should be on the required reading list of every high school in the world. The author has taken the dirty secret, given it an identity you can’t deny and taken it to the level that makes it all more understandable and provided these diseases and the people they affect with the compassion needed. Too many people think it’s a phase, but as the author points out, mental illness is treatable but not curable and it doesn’t’ t follow a straight line but curves, swipes back , round-abouts and cycles in a way that until a person is given the tools they need to fight it they will endure some of the worst affects possible.

I can say that I learned a lot from this novel. A lot about human nature, development, and how we all need a solid support system. How true love will not run from you at the first sign, second sign, and neon glaring sign of problems. It reminds me of the poem, forgive me if I get this wrong, If you love something set it free and if it comes back to you it’s yours. And if it doesn’t, it wasn’t meant to be. Trey let Tally go when she thought it was to be that way, and he knew exactly the way it should be.

Now that I’ve quit blubbering, snotting and sniffling I want to thank the author for providing her book to me, through the tour group, for an honest review. As much as I loved this book I did notice some word usage that was a bit off and distracted me here and there but not enough for me to subtract any points from my review because this book took me to the edge, pushed me right over and sprung me right back up like a bungee cord. I recommend this to all readers 12+. As a parent I will be recommending to my own children to read this so hopefully they will understand mental illness at least a little bit better.