WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

Hope's Decree

Hope's Decree - Angela  McPherson First I wish to thank the author for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. I also wish to thank Lady Amber Reviews who made it possible to review this book in conjunction with the Hope’s Decree blog tour.

I’ve always been intrigued with mythology. In the past couple of years I’ve read numerous YA books that have weaved mythology in to the storyline. Some are retellings of old myths, some just graze on it but something about the use of the mythology always seems to bring the story to life in a way that keeps the readers nose in the book and staying up to the wee hours to finish it. Hope’s Decree fits that bill and then some.

Hope’s Decree centers on the Greek myth of Pandora’s Box. For those that do not remember this myth very well, the author gives us the basics plus more in the book in a creative and well done way. You will start to see characters in a new light and will find yourself starting to put pieces of the puzzle together.

Being a story within a story, the layers mesh well with each other. Sometimes overlapping, sometimes paralleling and sometimes bouncing off each other like two magnets repealing. Do not fret; the answers will be given to you when the time is right. Sometimes I found myself cussing the author for making me wait, but the outcome of the waiting was well worth it. For those who are in to book boyfriends, you will find a worthy one in Blain. Mysterious, good looking and totally bad ass.

The first part of the book was a push and pull. Some details and areas were just too drawn out while some were given than taken away too quickly. Parts of the first half of the book just seemed too drawn out, too much time spent on some trivial moments, but all in all it was a good read. I would recommend this to readers 15 and older and definitely for readers who love Greek mythology.