WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

Masked

Masked - Janelle Stalder First I would like to thank the author for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Doing so does not sway my review in any way. Honesty is the best policy.

I was thrilled when the author asked if I'd like to be part of her blog tour. I had won the first book, Switch, from a blog tour giveaway and loved it right from the beginning. I was itching to for the second book. Let me tell you, I devoured Masked. I didn't want to put it down!

This time around it's Bridgette's turn to shine. Charlotte and the crew are still around but the majority of this book revolves around Bridgette and Roman. The plot twists and turns had me glued to the story. The different layers of stories going on, separate than intermingling, going this way and that way was powerful. Where in Switch, Bridgette didn't seem like much of a player, in this book she is a powerhouse in more ways than one. In Switch you could see the softer side of Roman, but here you see the true man behind the uniform.

There are a few revelations in this book that Bridgette and Charlotte are hit with like a shovel. Heartbreaking but at least one of the issues seems to be forgiven and allowed to be put in the past. The characters that Janelle Stalder have created are strong, each in their own right, and are full of surprises. In Switch we were given the majority of the backstory to the NWO and how the world functions present day so there was more character study than situational definition.

I can't say that last time I was so impressed with a book. The writing is dramatic but without being overly so. The descriptions aren't as focused on, but not needed since it was done so well in Switch that you already could picture the scenery, clothing, etc. The emotions and feelings that come through the writing is staggering and breath taking. So much is focused on but balanced in just such a way that it all fits together perfectly like puzzle pieces.

This is a NA dystopian novel with its fair share of romance, suspense, thriller and anxiety. I recommend this book to ages 18+. Yes, there are sexual situations in this book but not to the extremes that many NA books have gone and not so much that it bores you. The sexual tension is amazing and you are reading to whoop out loud when the tension cracks and the crash of emotions and physical attraction kicks in full swing.

I look forward to the next book in this series, Tested, which brings us the story of Missy and Tyler who are just discovering a mutual attraction in Masked before a crisis struck.