WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

Historical Heartthrobs: 50 Timeless Crushes—From Cleopatra to Camus

Historical Heartthrobs: 50 Timeless Crushes—From Cleopatra to Camus - Kelly  Murphy, Hallie Fryd I would like to thank the publisher, Zest Books, for providing me an ARC in exchange for an honest review. Receiving such does not sway my opinion in any way.

I was really thrilled when I was accepted to review this book, and to be able to post on Valentine’s Day was icing on the cake. 50 historical figures, in one book, and all about what makes them a heartthrob. How cool is that? The book itself is light reading, but full of facts. I was expecting just a small book, but was quite surprised in a good way, to find that the book was thick and isn’t just a blip of the person with a photo. It’s well put together and eye catching. The type of book you can share with the family. Yeah, there’s a small blip about each characters sex life, but even that’s pretty tame.

Now, historically, there are many in the book that I really wouldn’t consider heartthrobs. The author even gives each person a Heat Factor. If the person's HF is “Colder than an assassin’s blade,” than I would think that there’s really no heartthrob factor there either. The book starts off on a banger though with Cleopatra. She was definitely a doozie in her time, heck, in our time she would have been arrested on more than one occasion and that was just from some of her marriages.

The book starts in early years but progresses into the modern age. Very few of those in the book are actually still alive. I guess the majority of historical people are dead, but I have to say that they are many who have made history that are still alive. I do realize that a book can only focus on so many people, but I feel that the sampling was a little off. I give the author credit for taking notice of people in different areas of history instead of just focusing on artists, business, etc. She also gave fair samplings of both genders.

There’s a lot of facts that are in each person’s bio that made me take notice. A fun read but with also educational value to it and in a way that doesn’t dumb down the facts but gives you the functionality of what that person did in their life to be even considered historical. The reader also gets information about people that they may not have even heard of before, or heard of in passing or from talk they overheard of their parents and/or grandparents.

I don’t feel that the subtitle does the book justice though. These are people who are not really timeless crushes. They are people you admired for their work, bravery, mind, artistic sense, etc, but not truly crushed on. I’m still not 100% on the main title either, because Historical Heartthrobs would make it seem that the people in the book were looked at by their peers as good looking, sexual, etc but the majority weren’t.

I recommend this to anyone looking for a fun read. I can see this book gracing people’s coffee tables, being talked about with friends and looked at for info other than the norm. This is a sharing book and I can see it spreading out, with those borrowing in turn purchasing a copy of their own.