WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

The Polaris Uprising

The Polaris Uprising - Jennifer Ibarra I would like to thank the author for providing me copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Doing so does not sway my review in any way.

This is a coming of age story. Set in an alternate history, but one that is much like our own. The people are just like us and the ruler is one that has a lot of characteristics of past rulers in some of our countries histories. Ruled with an iron fist, protestors be damned, citizens are placed in their line of work early on and to punctuate the way of the government they have public executions by firing squad.

The republic President’s daughter, Ryla, who is next in line to rule starts realizing the atrocities that are taking place and the type of government that her father created and controls. Her sister, Alanna, who still feels the pangs of being shut out of ruling, is a high profile doctor, who is almost opposite of her sister in many ways but also so much like her in others. The story follows them both as they feel the changes before them with adulthood and the stress of their father being who he is and what is expected of them as such. And unknown to each of them is that serious changes are on the horizon.

As any country with a regime that is so controlling, there are protestors. This is where the story takes flight. It surrounds the characters, pulls them in all directions and throws some serious twists into the story. You will find yourself not being able to stop reading until you know what’s going on but there really isn’t any stopping point because the action of the story and of the characters just keeps on going.

There are more than a few plot twists that pull the carpet from under your feet. They take your breath away and the end will have you screaming for the next book. This book is a great read for anyone who likes a good dystopian novel that is also unique in its own right. This book will blow your mind.