WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

Essence

Essence - A.L. Waddington I would like to thank the author for providing me a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I was immediately intrigued in the storyline from the book blurb. I love time-travel books and stories where the character(s) have also lived in another era and retain some or all of the memory of it. This book really puts a whole new twist in that genre. The author brings us from a prior era to the current one and back and I could quickly fill in some of the pieces but the why wasn't given until near the end of this book.

Going from one era to another was good, but the first couple transitions could have been a bit smoother instead of just dropping it in like it was. Plus the way that Jocelyn feels when she's around Jackson got old, quickly. It was a bit creepy on his part to keep coming around and you would have thought that she would have had enough of the nauseating episodes and just been done with him altogether. Plus all the other effects; throwing up, busting an eye socket, etc, it would have made me steer clear of him for good. Don't read more into this than there is, there is NO physical violence, Jocelyn just gets some really strange sickly episodes when Jackson is close or touching her.

I have to say that I enjoyed the 1878 episodes more than the 2009 ones. I loved the story, the interaction of the characters, the feel of that era, the innocent love and the way society felt on some issues at that time. It is truly a different time period and the world has changed in so many ways since than. The author painted the picture well with her descriptions, wording and scenery set ups.

Even though I really enjoyed this book, I felt that the reasoning behind everything was too rushed at the end. As the reader, I was given so much information on the two parallel lives, but than just a few pages that really gave you the depth on what was happening.

This is a great YA read and I recommend it to anyone who likes a taste of time travel in a reincarnation way. There is paranormal elements and I really don't want to give too much away because I don't want to ruin it for you. I look forward to reading the next book in the EVE series.