WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

The Memory Witch

The Memory Witch - Heather Topham Wood I’d like to thank the author for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Doing so does not sway my judgment in any way.

The Prologue pulled me into the story right away; lost memories, murdered father, mother’s attitude about everything and a change. BAM! I was sold on this book. Not many books do that within the first couple pages, and when they do it’s an amazing feeling. The title itself let me know it had to do with memories, but I wasn’t so sure how the witch part fit in, but the title along with the prologue made me want to know what one had to do with the other.

Stella, the witch that had wiped her memories years ago, takes Quinn in for restitution of what was asked to be done by Quinn’s mother. There is no malice here, just a woman who knows she doesn’t have much time left on this earth and wants to have an apprentice to teach her magic to so that it will live on. Quinn takes on the roll, after being steamrolled into it by Stella, leaving a life of the normal young adult. Her mom and her had struggled financially, Quinn had secured a college scholarship, she had a boyfriend that seemed to love her even with her quirks and a new chapter was about to start in her life. I had expected Quinn to go kicking and screaming a bit more but she overall understood the consequences of her actions if she had.

An enjoyable read, the author provides details that allow you to follow the story with ease, details that paint the scenery before you and characters that interact well with one another, even in time of conflict. The was the characters are feeling or the way they are saying it come across so well through small details as the raising of eyebrows or the tone in the voice. The author comes across as a true storyteller which is a must, especially in a story like this with the paranormal side of it all. The author provides a distraction for Quinn in Mason, Stella’s nephew, estate caretaker, etc. Just a couple years older than Quinn he’s the companion that keeps her sanity while she’s learning the trade.

Quinn works hard to get her answers. There’s no sparing of emotions by the author. An author who’s not afraid to put her beloved characters through the wringer is again the way of a storyteller. A little more emotion put into her characters and the author will soar with the best of them. This story is recommended to the YA reader ages 16+. I look forward to reading more from this author.