WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

Dark Metropolis

Dark Metropolis - Jaclyn Dolamore I wish to thank the publisher and author for providing me a complimentary copy of this book, through Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review. Doing so does not sway my judgment in any way.

An interesting concept, quirky storyline, interesting characters but unfortunately put together in too much of a mishmash way that the actual story is all over the place. Trying to keep up with the assortment of different characters was a struggle that didn’t win me over. The characters themselves were interesting enough, but the author switched from one to another to one scene to another in no real systematic fashion that they lost their luster and became muddled instead of attention grabbing.

So many different elements going on; magic, resurrection, oppression, betrayal, hope, etc. As presented, each element intrigues and made me want to know more. Kept separate, each has a story of its own and if given the space to grow on its own would make for a blockbuster of a story. Tossed together like they were distracted me from the story and seemed to drag it down. This created a story that seemed to lag in places where it should have soared.

For those who like stories off the beaten track, with a quirkiness that forms them, you will like this novel. This story wasn’t for me, but I can see where others would really like it. This is not a book for people looking for romance. There are subtle hints to a potential romantic match, but that’s about it.