WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

Fae

Fae - C.J. Abedi I would like to thank the author for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Doing so does not sway my judgment in any way.

I am not a big reader of books on Fae. If you look at my bookshelves on Goodreads, you will see very little of these types of books. The funny thing is, that I always seem to enjoy these books and FAE is no exception. A YA fantasy/paranormal book, I felt comfortable with the story right away, snuggled into it and I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen from page to page.

The book starts off with the story of The Lost Colony of Roanoke Island. A mystery all its own and the authors took this real life mystery, shaped it and spun a tale so incredible that you will wonder, wow, what if? Being that we will never really know what happened to the colony, even if some had integrated with local tribes, it's a truly safe mystery to take liberties with.

This story brings to the reader the stories of the Dark and Light Fae. Odin, a god from Norse Mythology, with his wisdom and sorcery, guides Devilyn, the Chose One who was born from a father who rules the dark and a mother who was a princess of the light. Devilyn is determined that a prophecy not be fully fulfilled but finds out just how hard it is to undo a destiny foretold long before he knew what it was.

This story is full of humiliation, betrayal, hope, insecurities, love, sadness, awakenings, lies, truth and more. The authors layer the stories of the modern teenage highs school scene, the insecurities of the teens not in the "it" crowd, the fae realms, a boy in turmoil, and the war being waged among other things and intricately weaves them throughout each other in a way that none are felt less consequential than the other and leaving all important characteristics in place. As a reader, it kept my attention and I was captivated with each different character, their role, and their story.

The way the authors treated their characters showed a great deal of love for them. You could feel the emotions of each one as if you were them and experiencing it. The humiliations endured, the trepidation of Devilyn, the fathering of Odin, the friendship of Teddy, the awkwardness of attraction and I swear when Caroline blushed I could feel myself blushing!

Of course, I didn't get the resolution I was hoping for, because I failed to realize that this is the first book in a trilogy, but I'm super eager for May when the second book, The Dark King, comes out. What will happen between Caroline and Devilyn? Will they ever be able to be together safely? The chemistry between these two characters is undeniable and I am rooting for this couple to overcome fate and create a new destiny.

(4.5 stars given just because there were a few slow moments and times when I was going enough, get on with the story)