WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

Drowned

Drowned - Nichola Reilly I would like to thank the author for providing me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Scouts honor, if the first 150 pages of this book would be condensed to about 30 pages, this book would be a solid 4 star. There were some points that went on during those pages, but they could have been made as a whole and gone on from there. During those pages, not only is it drawn out but nagging questions appear that are never answered. A condensed version would have had the reader maybe left wondering but not feeling pressured by them. Plus, I felt that the descriptions weren’t set up enough to get a real feel of the surroundings nor enough for the reader to let their imagination fill in the gaps. The first half also feels a bit juvenile, but even with the main characters ages, they would be wise above their years.

The remaining 150 pages really get the story moving. There are events that make you really think. These events give you questions. And most of these questions are given answers to and those that aren’t answered lead up to the next book. I would love to read a prequel novella about Coe’s life before the incident that took away the majority of the memory of her childhood. Possibly told from Tiam’s eyes, because he went through some things in his early seasons too that set up some of his insecurities.

Near the end of the book, I started to get a feel of the City of Ember series. Being that I loved that series (if you haven’t read it, I highly recommend it. DON’T watch the movie!), that’s not a bad thing. I am really interested in Ms. Reilly’s next book in this series. She has really set it up where the next book could just blow away this first one. I anticipate a wide eyed, caffeine fueled, burning the midnight oil read with it.

A true YA dystopian, this book is filled with death, hope, romance, mystery, betrayal and discovery. I suggest this book to readers 12+ who are looking for something a little different but with adventure included. I don’t feel that adult readers will enjoy this as much as a young reader just because of the peculiarities involved.