WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

The Preacher's Son

The Preacher's Son - B.D.  Anderson I would like to thank the author for providing me with a complimentary print copy of her book for review. Doing so does not sway my opinions and feelings in any way.

Oh my! When I opened up the package and saw this book I started salivating and I think my children had to repeat what they were saying to me at least three times. Holy hotness in all its glory! Now, this really made me wondering what was going to happen with the story. I was snorting at the end of the first chapter, because I knew this book was going to be a doozy.

This book has its fair share of drama, love, conflict and tensions. All of this is mixed in with Christianity but not in a way that would turn a reader off. I actually found it more relatable in that way, especially when Jeremy and Aura talked about how they had been away from church and found that they had missed it. I have experienced that in my life, especially during times in the military. A place that you can be fully at comfort in and be with others that share the same spirituality as you.

The book flowed pretty good, not a hard read, but I found some of the dialogue hollow. A little more emotion would have pushed this book over the top. Other than that, the author really keyed in on some of the prejudices and how generations are overcoming them and seeing people for who they are, not by the color of their skin and how some prejudices the world still needs to work on, especially with body image. I also liked how Christians were portrayed. As a Christian, I know I'm not perfect. Every day I find myself stumble. Does this make me a bad Christian? No. It makes me human. As a human and as a Christian, I pick myself up, dust myself off and learn from the experience and help others learn from it too.

The story of the preacher's son, isn't just about him, but about those around him. About those in his and Aura's extended family, about friends, about difficulties that life has brought them. The characters intertwine with one another and an extension of the introductory story springs forward and branches off. You start learning more about how people tick and the reason's behind their actions.

I am a bit disappointed in Jeremy and Aura. Her wanting to wait, his understanding but yet constant pushing. The quickness to get to the solution and the person who made the suggestion. It just didn't feel right and I was a bit put off by that part of their story.

This book centers around Christianity, but the majority of the book centers around doing the right thing. Putting the prejudices behind and opening ones eyes to reality. This is a good book for anyone entering into adulthood to those who are just looking for a good read.