WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

ProtoStar

ProtoStar - Braxton A. Cosby I would like to thank the author for providing me with a complimentary copy of his book in exchange for an honest review. Doing so does not sway my judgement in any way.

If you are looking for a good science fiction novel, minus the over-the-top fantasy elements, look no further. Protostar gives you elements of space and our modern world. A child dropped from the sky and the bounty hunter from light years away who goes after her, finding her just after her 17th birthday, and dealing with the distractions of love and romance when his original intention is to end to her life.

I did have some issues with the characters though. The wording for the characters were a little over the top at times. More poetic than realistic. There was also a chemistry with all of them that just didn't fit as well as it should have. The characters were a little rigid and with some changing of tones and word usage, I can see this novel truly soaring. There were also times while reading it that I had to go back and reread sentences and some time paragraphs because they just didn't fit well with the storyline.

The twists and turns throughout the book make up for the imperfections. Braxton A. Cosby is mastering his story telling skills and hooked me from the Prologue. When you get that hook in the beginning of the book and find yourself not wanting to put the book down, you know you are in for a ride and a good one at that. His descriptive writing set up the scenes well and you could imagine what you were reading with little to no problems.

I also enjoyed the multiple POV's. I was able to get a good sense of how each character was developed, and even when it wasn't told in their POV, I could picture them and sense their feelings and reactions. Being able to do that keeps a reader in tune with the story and creates a flow that is consistent and non disruptive. As the story went on and the truth behind different things and people came out, I find myself devouring the book.

A great science fiction novel for all ages, Protostar will not disappoint. I look forward to reading more in this Star-Crossed saga.