WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

The Only Boy

The Only Boy - Jordan Locke I would like to thank the author for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Doing so does not sway my review in any way.

When I came across the opportunity to review this book, I jumped at it. I've read dystopian books where men weren't allowed in certain groups, some where the women kept men as slaves but none where being male could cost you your life and talking about men could get you put in confinement.

When we meet Taylor, he's just come to Section One. It's quite different from where he grew up. There people touched each other, food was grown not canned, and life was quite simpler. As the reader gets to know Section One, you know quickly that there's going to be trouble. One, because just how long can a teen male hide the fact of what he is when he's surrounded by females and two, because he befriends Mary who misses the touch of her mother, hates all the rules the Matriarch has in place and just wants to be free to do be who she is.

Written in Taylor and Mary's POV's, alternating quite often, you get a sense of both as people and their hopes and dreams. Unfortunately, the alternating is sometimes too quick and you start to feel like you are a third wheel listening in on a conversation. Both characters need to get their heads out of the clouds and start to think before acting. So the immaturity that comes through isn't cohesive with how they would be really acting if it was real life and they weren't characters in a book.

The things I found out about during the procession of the story, made it feel rather rushed at times and disjointed at others. Time lines for the disease seemed to muddle in places and secrets that come out seemed to come at times that didn't make the most sense.

Now, after all that, the story itself kept me fixated. I wanted to know what was going to happen next. I wanted to know how things were going to fix themselves. I wanted to know what the ending would bring. With the two POV's you feel yourself connecting with both of the main characters and wanting certain things to pan out for them. And honestly, that's enough for me. This may not have been a phenomenal read, but it was good and I do recommend it to anyone who likes dystopian fiction.