WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

The Martian

The Martian - Andy Weir I love science, I love space, I love Mars, but oh I was not so keen on this book. The first half droned on and on and on. I felt like I was being tortured reading this. I put it down, picked it back up, put it back down a few pages later. Thankfully I kept on going, because what would have been a DNF turned into something much better once those on Earth became involved with the story. Honestly, the main character Mark Watney, would be a bit of a bore in real life and I don't know if he's someone I would find myself conversing with.

Eventually the droning brings some action, and I wanted to know what those on Earth were going to do for this poor soul. Could they get to him in time? Another bad day, he's going to die before they can. Back and forth the story went. I admit, I skimmed, because even when things started moving, they moved than stopped, than snail paced moved again.

I don't know who I would recommend this book to. If you like dry, scientific fiction novels, this one's for you. If you like a story that actually moves along, this isn't one for you. I was so looking forward to reading this, and I feel a bit let down afterwards.