WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

Tomboy: A Graphic Memoir

Tomboy: A Graphic Memoir - Liz Prince I would like to thank the publisher for providing me with a complimentary copy of this book. Doing so does not sway my review in any way.

Reading this, I could identify with Liz on so many levels. Myself, I was a tomboy. I was the girl hanging with the boys during recess, playing baseball with them or playing with cars in the dirt. I was the one shunned by the girls from about mid-first grade, through 8th grade. I can still remember the hurt I felt, coming back from summer vacation and the boys treating me differently because I was a girl and the girls being complete witches because I wasn't into all that girl stuff. I remember being called a boy, innocently, on a few occasions.

This book represents even more to me though. I have a daughter, who is 16. The last time she wore a dress was to a funeral in first grade. As soon as we got home, she promptly took it off and gave it to her sister. As a baby, she was the one with the sturdy squared off shoulders. As a small child, she was the girl who I shopped in the boy section for. Her sister would get a Barbie for a gift and she would get the equivalent in a Ken doll. Pokemon, Avatar, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, etc, were her go to items. As a teenager, her dress style is very boyish, she likes to wear "tails" on her jeans and she has crushes on boys. When looking at the authors picture, she could definitely be mistaken as sisters with my daughter.

Parts of this book have helped me understand my own daughter even more. The author comes across very personable with her drawings and real life happenings. So many boyish girls are assumed to be lesbians that it's so hard for them to accept their own identities and feel good about themselves. I feel that this book should be required reading for all genders and starting in middle school. It's an educational novel that doesn't feel quite like it since there are drawings, but the reader can relate because either they have been in that situation or know of someone who has been.

The memoir runs the gamut of feelings. There are funny parts, scary parts, sibling issues, crushes, sexuality and so much more. The author comes deals with everything in such a great way. The graphics are spot on and you can imagine yourself there, in that moment. An easy read, which is great for the demographic age the book is primarily focused on, that of a teenage girl finding her own identity, embracing it and understanding it. I enjoyed the Epilogue too. Parents, this is not a book to be afraid of when I speak of sexuality. The author gives the reader a true sense on how there are pressures, but that you must be true to yourself and not give in to that.

I really can't say enough good things about this book, it was a wonderful read and it hit on all the points of being a tomboy throughout life so well. Tomorrow, I'm giving the book to my daughter and I know she will appreciate it and the author will have a new friend from it. Liz Prince, thank you for showing the world the life and feelings of a true tomboy.