WordtoDreams

Word to Dreams

YA & NA Fiction At It's Best - Specializing in YA

Going Down in Flames

Going Down in Flames - Chris Cannon Dragons. Oh my, who hasn't ever gotten the thrill at least once in their life when reading about dragons? And a crossbreed girl who shape-shifts into one? That's just icing on dragon cake! It's been a long time since I read a dragon book and this book did not disappoint.

The imagery that the author provides is by far one of the best that I've had the pleasure of reading this year. Being it's about a week and a half until the New Year, I'd say that I've saved the best for last. I found myself enveloped in the story, feeling what was going on, seeing the visuals as if in a hi-def dream and I was able to stay immersed from the beginning to the very end. That alone makes for one heck of a book. The authors descriptions couldn't have been any better and with a story that has so many different elements in it on so many different levels, this kept the story from losing its balance.

Bryn has a heck of a time ahead of her. As someone who was never supposed to be born, because of the mix of two different clans, which is never supposed to happen, she discovers the truth about herself. The changes have its ups and downs on her, but she is quite lonely because her fellow classmates shun her for something she has no control over.

Parts of the story could have been worked differently to provide more of a strength to the story overall. The whole revolution bit is a little lost because Bryn really isn't that involved with any of it. Also Bryn was not the most pleasurable person. As a mom, she grated on many of my nerves and well, she was probably supposed to be that way, but at times it just seemed too much.

Overall, this is a fascinating first book in a series of dragons, shape-shifters and the future of both. Anyone who likes to read about dragons would be a good fit for this book, as would someone who is testing the dragon waters for the first time. I look forward to reading further into this series and also whatever books the author comes out with.